Many products I have tried have been unsatisfactory or disappointing. I have sensitive skin, allergies, and itchiness that can be exacerbated by bath products so I am very picky. I have, so many times, bought bottles of stuff I’ve tried once and had to return or get rid of. I have begun to eliminate the use of most of the mainstream products because they contain harmful chemicals that actually do irritate my skin significantly and contain harmful chemicals anyway such as SLS, sulfates, parabens, etc. My main resource for researching products is the EWG Database. Though not every product is listed, ingredients on the back of the product label can be looked up on the website. So do your own research. I prefer to go with products that are EWG-Approved, or rated higher than 3, but even then there’s usually a compromise between quality ingredients and effectiveness. A lot of the high rated organic products just don’t work or even stink! So, needless to say, I’ve gone through a lot of trial-and-error with these too.
EWG website: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep
EWG rates products and ingredients for Overall Hazard, Cancer, Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity, Allergies & Immunotoxicity, and other Use Restrictions.
Newest Favorites (Organic & high EWG ranking): These seem to have been the best compromise between non-hazardous and effectiveness I’ve experienced; these are currently my top-rated.
- Acure (Organics): “Its not enough to be natural, it also has to work.” https://www.acureorganics.com
- Desert Essence Fragrance Free Body Wash
- John Masters Organics Bare Collection
Past Favorites (though I’ve discontinued use for various reasons – mostly due to chemicals and irritants – I would still like to mention):
Favorites (Salon Quality) – Used Sparingly:
- Kevin Murphy Angel Wash
- Tree Hut Body Wash (Almond & Honey, Coconut Lime, Hawaiian Kukui, Brazilian Nut)
- Everyone Soap Shampoo/Body Wash
- Shea Moisture African Black Soap Body Wash
- Every Man Jack
- OGX Shampoos and Body Wash
- Axe Shampoo, Conditioner, and Body Wash
- Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep Conditioner
- American Crew products
- Biolage Shampoo & Conditoner
- Dial Anti-bacterial Spring Water Body Wash
- Garnier Fructis
- Head & Shoulders
- John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shampoo & Conditioner
- Kerasilk Shampoo and Conditioner
- Living Proof
- Mandorla Bagno (Almond) Body Wash
- Paul Mitchell
- Sun Bum
Note: *I am not endorsing these products. My preferences are based on experience from a lifetime of trying many different products.